Apps expand your mobile device’s capabilities with new productivity capabilities, games to entertain you and new or improved features to optimize the user experience on your mobile phone or tablet. Developers are constantly updating applications to fix bugs, improving compatibility with all types of devices and introducing new features. It’s essential to keep your applications updated, but if you have automatic updates turned on they will update without any action from you. By default, the Android operating system informs you when an application has been updated. In comparison to the Apple devices, updates need manual confirmation.
Disabling Application Update Notifications
If you are tired of seeing frequent application update notifications you can disable them. Applications will still update, but you won’t get notified every time it happens. Follow these steps to turn off constant notifications when your applications update.
- Locate the Google Play Store. If it isn’t located on your home screen or in a “Google” folder, you can find it by browsing through the application menu
- Tap the “Menu” icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. This is typically indicated by three horizontal lines.
- Tap “Settings” to access more customization options.
- Tap the option “Notify when apps are automatically updated” to toggle it on and off
Applications that Require Manual Updates
Some applications do not update automatically because they require additional permissions in the operating system, which you must agree to in order to receive the update. You will still receive these types of notifications unless you opt not to by tapping the “Notify when app updates are available” setting. This is convenient if you don’t want to receive frequent notifications and would rather update your apps manually. Manually updating allows you to know what is included in the update before it’s installed. Don’t forget to check on a regular basis to avoid missing out on new features and fixes to your favorite applications. Another consideration is that if checking for application updates regularly is turned on, then you could be using your limited cellular data and draining battery life at the same time. This would be a reason you might decide to manually update your apps.
Apple Devices and Update Notifications
Software updates on Apple devices are essential to its unique user experience. Different versions come out to fix user reported errors and could even speed up some of the processes. We recommend updating your devices to make sure you do not miss out on new and upgraded features.
Steps to see software updates:
- Tap “settings”
- Tap “general” > “software update”
- At this point you will see if you are up to date. Latest is iOS 10.2. If not, follow the simple instructions to install and update device.
- Another way you could reach to this point is by dragging the screen down until the search bar appears and typing in update and then tapping software update.
App updates are separate from the settings.
- Enter App Store
- Tap “Updates” on the bottom bar
- It will show you apps that need to be updated/have been updated
It’s essential to keep your applications updated for security and feature purposes, but it can get annoying to constantly see application update notifications instead of something more exciting like a text message or email. Enhance your user experience and customize how often you both update and see notifications about updates.